Opportunity Communities LLC partners with Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation and The Neighborhood Developers, Inc., to provide stable homes within great neighborhoods, which serve as a foundation for thriving families and individuals. Our homes and neighborhoods promote healthy families as well as work, economic, and educational success. This opportunity will intrigue the accountant who is interested in being part of a start up operation while within the environment of two CDC’s who have both been in business for 35 and 40 years respectively.
The Accountant is responsible for overseeing the accounting and reporting for Nuestra Comunidad, and its related entities, including cash, preparation of account reconciliations, to ensure that all transactions are prepared in a timely manner. This position requires a strong working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, real estate development accounting, familiarity with the OMB Super Circular, and a high degree of interaction with the real estate team, vendors and funders.
This position requires close coordination with department managers and Opp Co accounting. This position possesses the willingness to assume additional responsibilities, is organized, detail oriented, able to work collaboratively and solve routine problems independently. This position makes recommendations for improvements in efficiencies in internal control processes.
General Ledger/Financial Reporting
- Prepare and process monthly journal entries. Produce timely monthly financials by 1) reviewing general ledger activity, (2) calculating monthly accruals and prepayments, (3) posting all journal entries and (4) compiling, reviewing, consolidating wholly owned, and distributing final monthly reporting packages for the relevant companies.
- Ensure that monthly income statements reflect budget, actual and variance amounts. Identify significant variances and research explanations for variances. Create and maintain supporting schedules and analyses and reconciliations of balance sheet accounts including reconciliation of intercompany balances.
- Support and assist the external accounting/audit firms with year-end requirements, ensuring that all audit requested schedules and workpapers are prepared in accordance with agreed upon audit schedule; assist with financial statements and tax returns. Prepare miscellaneous financial reports for various funding agencies, etc.
- Prepare and process cash transfers as needed. Maintain line of credit activity reports; calculate and post applicable interest on a monthly basis.
- Monitor daily cash balances for significant bank accounts and prepare cash flow forecasts.
- Provide assistance and support on treasury management and cash flow reporting.
- Maintain real estate development set of books. Maintain schedule and provide information and reporting to auditors for related cost certification process. Assist auditors during the cost certification process.
- Working with OppCo and its affiliated members, program directors and resource development personnel, participate in developing potential grant budgets, and once awarded, prepare, track, and monitor invoices for foundation, federal and state grants. Ascertain validity of expenses that should be included in invoice submissions. Provide reports and support to various funders substantiating amounts invoiced.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer.
- Assist program directors and managers with the preparation of the budgets.
General Accounting Support/Administration
- Oversee management of all CDC leases, contracts and financial commitments with facility lessor.
- Manage document retention policies and retention.
- Provide operational support regarding accounting and finance-related matters to program teams.
- Assist in the development of departmental policies and procedures.
- Identify opportunities to streamline existing processes, focusing upon enhancing efficiencies with the Finance team as well as within the CDC.
- Work with Opp Co to establish a comprehensive set of efficient, streamlined processes, reporting and implementing new budgeting system across all member organizations.
- 5- 7 years of progressive accounting experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Familiarity with real estate development in a non-profit setting desired.
- Experience working with SAGE 50 preferred.
- Previous experience with month end closing and reporting.
- Knowledge and experience working with GAAP, A-133 audits and familiarity with OMB Super Circular
- Grants management experience as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate, and foundation grants preferred
- Detail oriented team player, accurate, having ability to solve problems
- Strong time management skills to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize workload
- Proactive and strategic thinker who enjoys creating and improving systems and processes
We offer competitive compensation and good benefits. Send a cover letter and a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider qualified applicants for employment regardless of expression, age, color, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other protected class.