Manager of Finance and Administration
Reports To: Director of Finance
Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation is a nonprofit community development agency, which is engaged in a variety of community development activities including real estate development, economic development and community organizing.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Manager of Finance and Administration will work closely with the Director of Finance to implement better financial accounting and reporting processes and tools, budget planning and management, administration and operations infrastructure. The Manager of Finance and Administration will be involved in a range of organizational initiatives.
The Manager of Finance and Administration will continually assist the Director of Finance to evaluate best industry practices in comparison to internal systems and needed resources, with an eye toward both future needed and budget realities.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the organization’s external audit firm.
- Assist the Director of Finance with implementation of monthly and quarterly reports for Senior staff, Finance Committee and Board of Director meetings
- Work closely with the Accounting Manager in the following areas:
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable.
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Review monthly results and implement monthly/quarterly variance reporting.
- Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts.
- Oversee the maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
Budget Planning and Management
- Assist with the preparation of annual budget in consultation with the Director of Finance
- Assist staff directors and managers with the preparation of budgets
- Train to become the backup person on all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist the Accounting Manager with the issuance of annual W2s and 1099s.
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts, and other financial commitments including liaise with the facility lessor, Colliers International.
- Manage organization document retention policies.
- Maximize income and avoid unnecessary expenses where possible and appropriate.
- Negotiate with vendors, bankers, and other financial services as required and appropriate.
- Assist with daily bank deposits
The candidate must have a strong understanding of finance and non-profit accounting principles. Have excellent communication and writing skills. Knowledge of Sage and Excel is required. Ideal candidate will have 3-5 years’ experience in finance. Candidate must be detail-oriented, organized, and have an understanding of non-profit organizations. The candidate will need to have the availability to work evenings when necessary.
Candidate should also be able to multi-task and work independently.
Bachelor Degree in Finance or Accounting. Experience with accurate preparation of month end schedules and journal entries. Familiarity with real estate development in a nonprofit setting. Being familiar with communities in our service areas such as Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan is helpful. Bilingual in Spanish and English also helpful.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, clients, customers, and the general public
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Sage or other accounting software and MS Office products such as PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to Karla Jaramillo at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please type the title of the position. No telephone calls please.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
Nuestra CDC provides equal opportunity employment to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, sexual orientation or veteran’s status, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.