Job Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Status: Full Time
FLSA Category: Exempt
Immediate Supervisor: Controller
Date Created/Revised: 5/7/19
OppCo partners provide stable homes within great neighborhoods, which serve as a foundation for thriving families and individuals. Our homes and neighborhoods promote healthy families as well as work, economic, and educational success.
The Senior Accountant is directly responsible for overseeing the accounting and reporting for multiple entities some wholly owned subsidiaries and some properties under construction, including cash, preparation of account reconciliations, working with various teams within the organizations through the entire cycle of original budget through monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, to ensure that all transactions are prepared in a timely manner with all reporting being made in a timely manner. This position requires a strong working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, familiarity with the OMB Super Circular, high degree of interaction with company employees, vendors, funders. This position participated in the Joint Finance Committee meetings. This position has the ability to interpret responsibilities and possesses the initiative and willingness to assume additional responsibilities, is organized, detail oriented, able to work collaboratively and solve routine problems independently. This position assesses and recommends improvement in internal control processes and enhancing efficiencies, undertakes and supervises special projects within Finance.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
General Ledger/Financial Reporting
- Prepare timely financial statements, including balance sheet, income statements (summary and detail) and ratios, according to the monthly close calendar by (1) reviewing general ledger activity, (3) calculating monthly accruals and prepayments, (3) posting all journal entries and (4) compiling, reviewing, consolidating wholly owned, and distributing final monthly reporting packages for the relevant companies.
- Create and maintain supporting schedules and analyses for balance sheet accounts including, but not limited to, accounts receivable, grants receivable, accounts payable, prepaid, accrued expenses, interest payable and receivable and notes and loans payable.
- Support and assist the external accounting/audit firms with year-end requirements; prepare work papers; assist with financial statements and tax returns. Prepare miscellaneous financial reports for various funding agencies, etc.
- Develop and monitor time allocations to CDC’s.
- Prepare and process cash transfers as needed. Maintain line of credit activity reports; calculate and post applicable interest on a monthly basis. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare operating cash flow monthly statements.
- Provide assistance and support on treasury management and cash flow reporting.
- Maintain real estate development set of books. Analyze construction in process accounts against the requisitions and general ledger. Prepare monthly sources and uses of funds, reviewing with Real Estate team. Maintain schedule and provide information and reporting to auditors for related cost certification process. Assist auditors during the cost certification process.
- Prepare, track and monitor invoices for foundation, federal and state grants. Ascertain validity of expenses that should be included in invoice submissions. Provide support to various funders substantiating amounts invoiced.
- Calculate estimated and actual billings for real estate and CAM charges for tenants.
- Calculate true up and estimated billings for following year.
- Administer tenant correspondence and billing inquiries.
- Maintain budgeting and forecasting files, updating as business structure, programs and funding changes occur. Assist directors/managers in preparation of their budgets and reforecasts.
General Accounting Support
- Prepare and book bi-weekly payroll entries, to transition to Accounting Clerk.
- Process accounts payable and receivables. Prepare and oversee annual 1099 filing and reporting.
- Create various accounting reports as requested by management.
- Provide operational support regarding accounting and finance-related matters to program teams.
- Assist in the development of departmental policies and procedures.
- Identify opportunities to streamline existing processes, focusing upon enhancing efficiencies within the Finance team as well as within the CDC.
- Back up for payroll.
- Work with the team to establish a timely month end close process, inclusive of real estate project transactions.
- Train the team on establishing month end departmental budget/actual/variances.
- Working with joint real estate teams, establish and implement new process for real estate projects for accounts payable, sources and uses report, and preparing schedules for auditors.
- Work to streamlining existing financial processes.
- Enhance and develop audit schedules in preparation for year end.
- Attend monthly team and organization meetings.
- Attend necessary trainings to assure up to date knowledge.
- Some travel may be required
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- 5-7 years of accounting experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree and Master’s preferred.
- Previous experience with non-profit accounting preferred.
- Previous experience with grant budgeting and accounting preferred.
This is a sedentary job by nature. Requires being able to sit at a desk and use a computer and phone for most of the day.
Submit your resume to the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4727949